The Spine market accounts in 2019 for more than $9 billion worldwide, with an estimated increase of 3% vs. 2018. Our estimate of the 10 top spine players’ market share in 2019 is the following:
Medtronic:With the acquisition of the Mazor robot, Medtronic Spine is trying to increase sales (our estimate for 2019 is a growth of 3%) as well as to keep their position of market leader.
DePuy Synthes: During the last two years, their spinal sales have declined mainly in the U.s market. They have recently launched new MIS products (Concorde, Viper) as a source for 2019 growth.
NuVasive: Many things are happening around Nuvasive. The last one is the rumour that it will be acquired by Smith&Nephew. Is still the third company (Stryker+K2M is getting closer) but with many sources of instability.
Stryker: Stryker announced in 2018 a definitive merger agreement to acquire all of the issued and outstanding shares of common stock of K2M Group Holdings, Inc. This deal will help fill a notable gap of advanced spinal implant technology which Stryker has struggled to fill in recent years.It seems that Stryker becomes a real thread in 2019 to the rest of the competitors.
Globus Medical: Globus Medical’s full year 2018 sales are expected to be approximately $712.5 million, an increase of 12.0% over the prior year. Globus growth strategy is focused on robotics and the new trauma products.
Zimmer Spine: The acquisition of LDR provided outstanding revenue growth in 2017. With estimated sales of 656 $Millions in 2019, it seems that they are not growing as expected. Will they acquire in 2019 more spinal companies to boost growth and prevent from stay behind competitors?
Aesculap: They have been growing 2% for the past five years. Our estimate is that they will continue growing at a rate of 2-3% mainly because of the
positive long-term data from study of its activ-L artificial lumbar disc and the launch of the Plasmapore XP-coated interbody fusion devices.
SeaSpine: It is expected to post a 2.0% rate of growth for 2019 based on the new NanoMetalene technology. The company is debt free.
Orthofix:The launch of the M6-C artificial cervical disc in the U.S.(
controlled, limited market launch in the United States accompanied by an extensive training and education curriculum for surgeons) will complement this existing spine portfolio and represents a significant milestone in the execution of their strategy to accelerate topline growth.
Alphatec Spine: In 2016, International operations (outside U.S) were purchased by Globus Medical. With Pat Miles leadership and new products,
Alphatec is ready to grow again and to increase its distribution power.
Others:According to our estimates, there are more than 400 spinal companies worldwide. The 10 top players account for the 90% of the market while the rest 390 companies represent 10% of the spine implants global sales (900 $Millions). To know more about those companies, please visit:http://www.thespinemarketgroup.com/category/spine-companies/